Monday, March 26, 2012

A weekend of firsts



Thanks to record-breaking temperatures, March has produced open water on lakes and streams that usually would be frozen this time of year. I took advantage of the warmth to break out the fly rod and test some water last week.


My first two after-work outings were fruitless, and on the third trip to a local lake I had a fish on but lost it. The feel of a trout on the end of the line was nice, but still unsatisfying.


On Saturday, the tide turned, and I managed to land the first trout of the year (pictured), ending up with eight brown trout and one rainbow for the day. Sunday, I caught the first cutthroat of the year and also the first river fish, another brown.


The 2012 fishing season is off to a good start!






No comments:

Post a Comment