Sunday, May 27, 2012

Last of the big ones?

In Wyoming and the rest of the Rocky Mountain area, a 20-inch trout caught on a fly is generally considered a trophy fish. Some years, I don't catch any that size. Other years, I lose count. Often, I land 1-3 over the course of a season. Last year, for instance, I landed three over 20 inches and was more than satisfied.
This spring has produced a surprising number of big fish for me and my friends. I have landed 11 trophy-quality rainbows so far over 20, with a 26 1/2 inch bow the standout of the group. On the day I landed the 22-incher in this photo, Sam caught the biggest trout of his life - a monster 28-inch rainbow that probably was pushing 10 pounds. Willi has landed more big trout than anybody I know this spring, including a few browns and cutthroat over 20 inches.
The spring rainbow trout spawn that produced many of these trophies is about over. There are still lots of big fish to be caught, but they won't be as easy until the fall, when the browns begin to spawn.
In the meantime, just the thought that the next fish could be a trophy will keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment