Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Carp diem: Seize the carp day



If you've followed the Hullabaloo for long, you know I like to flyfish for carp. Fifteen to 20-pound Hoover-mouths on the long pole are about as close to saltwater flyfishing as I'm likely to get.
I even bought a saltwater rod with a fighting butt a few years ago as my go-to carp rod.
But the most important part of carp-flyfishing gear, I've learned, is your backing. Be sure to have enough of it and be sure it's not tangled.
Today, I learned that lesson the hard way. A big carp was on a long run, steadily peeling 7-weight line off my reel. Finally, he reached the backing and the screech of my reel went silent - my backing was tangled.
I waded deeper into the lake hoping to turn the bruiser, but he must have sensed a weakness and made another big run. My line went slack and I reeled in a flyless leader.
So tonight, one of my chores is to fix my backing problem.
For next time.

1 comment: