Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hat cam a work in progress

For our summer ski trip Saturday, I wanted to rig up my Flip video camera as a hat cam to get some action footage. First, I rigged it up over the bill of my cap, using a headband to secure it. The Flip didn't fall out when I tested it on a run, but the only footage I got was of clouds and sky. The camera was just mounted too high on the hat to shoot the snow.
Next, I put the hat on backwards and again used the headband to hold the camera.
That tactic didn't work for long. Without the cap's bill to support the camera, the Flip slipped out on my first turn and landed in the snow.
As a result, the video du jour is your standard fare, albeit a cinematic tour de force.
But I'll keep trying to perfect the hat cam. Maybe some duct tape?

1 comment: