Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Warm water, wet wading

I checked out a small lake in Colorado today that was reputed to contain a variety of warmwater species. It was 88 summerlike degrees, so I eschewed the waders and went wet - shorts and wading shoes.
Casting a small stimulator, it didn't take long to hook up with a bluegill. I don't remember the last time I caught one of these sporty little guys, but it had been a while. Too long, really.
They pounced on the stimmie when it was floating, and hammered it when I stripped it subsurface. In the shallow water, I'd sometimes see a wake coming from 20-30 feet away as the bluegill streaked toward the fly.
After moving to the south end of the lake, green sunfish got into the game. These beautiful panfish are the memories of my youth, fishing off my grandparents' dock.
Considering it was snowing in Wyoming just two weekends ago, the warm water was just what the doctor ordered. The 'gills and sunnies were a welcome bonus.






No comments:

Post a Comment